In Memory of




Obituary for Harold Lawrence Carr

Harold L. Carr was born on September 5, 1930, to Harry Carr and Sara Sturdevant Carr in Laceyville, Pennsylvania. Growing up in Bradford and Wyoming counties, he attended Skinners Eddy School and Laceyville High School. After graduating the class of 1949, he drove trucks for about two years until he enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and entered basic training at Sampson AFB, New York. After basic training he was assigned to Scott AFB, Illinois attending basic Aircraft Radio/Tado Navigation Aids School and later graduated in June 1952. He was then reassigned to the Far East, this time stationed at Misawa Air Base in northern Japan. After two years, he returned to the U.S> with an assignment to Vance AFB, Oklahoma, where he reenlisted in July 1955. Serving at Vance for a total of two and a half years, he received another assignment back to Misawa in March 1957. When he returned to the States, in March 1960, he was stationed at McGuire AFB, New Jersey until August 1, 1962, where he was transferred to Andrews AFB, Maryland. While assigned to the Special Air Missions Unit, he was responsible for air transportation to the President of the United States, Congressmen/women, Senators and foreign dignitaries. His duties involved troubleshooting, removal/replacement of malfunctioning aircraft communication systems and verification that all repaired systems were serviceable. In April 1969, he was reassigned to Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand with the duties of assistant shop chief and shop chief until May 1970 when he returned back to Andrews. In July 1971, Hal decided to retire from the Air Force.

While performing various jobs and driving trucks back home in Laceyville, he was invited back to Andrews AFB in September 1975 to a Civil Service position with the same duties as he had when he was in the military. He remained in this position until he retired from the Civil Service in July 1994. After retiring he again did various types of work which included bagging groceries at the Andrews Commissary, flagging traffic with a utility firm and working for the Charles County, Maryland Sheriff’s Department as a school crossing guard.

He married the former Reggie Lawson, whom he met in Lexington Park, Maryland, and gained stepdaughters Regina Page and Johanna Brooks, two sons-in-law, and seven sisters-in-law from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was preceded in death by his father, mother and sister, Frances Carr. Surviving are his siblings, Robert Carr of Mansfield, Missouri and Ruth Steinhilber of Flanagan, Illinois, along with several nieces and nephews.